Recipe: Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
I used this Wilton.com recipe to make frosting for my dad and father-in-law's birthdays. The results were delicious, and the flavor paired well with the cake choices: Chocolate Chip Pound Cake and Simple White Cake, (recipes to follow). I added food coloring without impacting the consistency. Next time I'd like to explore different flavor extracts. Perhaps lemon?
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and butter until it is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and milk
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, with the mixer on medium.
- Continue mixing until the frosting is light and fluffy
- Add food coloring as desired.