Recipe: Simple White Cake
I made this cake for my father-in-law's birthday last weekend. Not one for big, fancy desserts, this cake, topped with vanilla buttercream frosting, was perfect. It was dense, but it wasn't a heavy cake. It went well with vanilla bean ice cream.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x9 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the heavy cream until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch, and toothpick comes out clean.
Note: Be sure to let cake cool for 15-20 minutes before removing from pan, and cool completely before frosting.