Recipe: Cornmeal Thyme Biscuits
Now that the cold weather has rolled in, my meals have been focused on hearty, comfort foods. Tonight I'm making sausage gravy and biscuits. Here is my recipe for the biscuits, which was inspired by Food Network Magazine's November 2016 issue.
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup what grain rye
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold butter, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Combine dry ingredients. Add butter, and combine until mixture looks like coarse meal with pea-size bits of butter.
- Add whole milk, and mix until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and pat into 5-by-10-inch rectangle, 3/4 inch think. Fold in half and pat out again, repeat. Cut out with floured biscuit cutter. Re-roll the scraps and cut out more biscuits.
- Arrange biscuits on a baking sheet and brush tops with milk. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Yield: 10 to 14 biscuits