Happy Homesteading: Crockpot Apple Butter
I have used this apple butter recipe a few times, with delicious results each time. Our two-year-old loves apple butter spread on freshly baked bread, and now the whole extended family is getting in on the apple butter action.
One of the best parts about this recipe is that you can fix it and forget it. Plus a small amount of apples goes a long way. I'm thinking a few jars of apple butter with some good, homemade country bread will make great holiday gifts.
- 2-3 pounds apples- peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 5 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze